The Public University awarded a grant from the Leioa campus grounds where the Science Park will be built to manage the Bizkaia Technology Park and at the same time, the public university fits into the ownership of the Technology Park.
The Bizkaia Technology Park and the Basque Country University gave the final impetus for the project of Scientific Park UPV / EHU, with the completion of final processing for the project. The University of the Basque Country has awarded a grant of 184 500 m² of land on the campus of Leioa Bizkaia Technology Park for which it manages the Science Park UPV / EHU Zientzia Parkea project. Simultaneously, the University of the Basque Country becomes a shareholder of the park, joining, also, to its Board of Directors.
The main objectives of the project launched by the departments of Education, Universities and Research and Industry, Innovation, Trade and Tourism are: to provide a forum for excellence and innovation that encourages university-industry relations and the creation of new businesses with technology and highly skilled jobs, taking advantage of scientific and technological capabilities of a university campus open to the social demands of their environment. The Science Park will feature first-class infrastructure and some strategic projects:
– Headquarters – The Science Park will have a headquarters building that will house the incubator, the OTRI, advisory services and information, offices, meeting rooms, space for business and so the first business projects.
– ESS Bilbao – Spanish headquarters of the European Neutron Spallation Source be located in the Science Park.
– Biophysics Bizkaia Unit –
– Technology Platforms – These are two buildings which were multidisciplinary working groups that will form joint university-industry platforms and will be grouped in different scientific areas.
– Buildings R & D + i – 11 buildings will be constructed to house based companies and departments, scientific-technological R & D companies.
The construction of this new infrastructure, which involves an investment public / private partnership around 400 million euros, will be launched later this year, with the start of construction of the headquarters building. Indeed, in April 2010 has been awarded the support of basic ideas and Project and Construction management of the Headquarters Building. It is expected that the construction of Science Park takes place in different stages and that in 2013 the first buildings to be operational.